Tuesday, July 9, 2013

By Writing, Profit....

For those counting, we recently completed our little blogging experiment. While we haven’t exactly been faithful to our commitment of three blogs a week, we have tried, and I feel it has been a success. Our purposes here were threefold. In a word, we wrote to communicate, we wrote to understand and we wrote to learn.
“For me writing has always felt like praying, even when I wasn’t writing prayers, as I was often enough. You feel that you are with someone.”[1] Writing is a conversation. Truly, nobody writes what is meant to go unread. Even in the darkest hours of life, when people chronicle their most intimate dreams and desires in a their most secret journals, they do that by having a conversation with themselves. There are three parties to “the most private thought- the self that yields the thought, the self that acknowledges and in some way responds to the thought, and the Lord. That is a remarkable thing to consider.”1 We are thankful for where the Lord has brought us. We are glad we are where He has placed us. We miss our dear friends, however, and as we write to you, we do feel your presence, just as we feel it in a phone call or in reading a letter from you. Our writing has helped us to feel the fellowship we miss with you, and for that we are truly thankful.
            I’m afraid the last two reasons for the blog were quite selfish. Augustine is reported to have said “I profess to be one of those who, by profiting, write, and by writing profit.[2] That proved itself true for us.
            We wrote about many of the things we have been through here. The deadline which we assigned ourselves helped us to discuss the things we’ve learned. The catharsis of pen and paper did not merely comfort us, but helped us to process the means by which the Lord comforted our troubles. The therapy was not in the pages we wrote, but in the act of typing, writing or scratching our thoughts to paper, we could see more clearly the way God Himself and His revelation of Himself helped us to understand our experiences. In our joys and in our sorrows, writing was a way we meditated on the faithfulness of God in Christ, who is our true source of unending delight.
            There is great joy for us in writing. In putting pen to paper (or hand to keyboard) I find my thoughts to flow much more freely than they do when I speak, truly even more freely than when I think. Writing is the way I can see the world, it is the avenue by which I comprehend myself, and it is the tool I find most comfortable to employ in communication with others. In writing and in opening myself up for critique, (which, uncomfortable though it was, I was very thankful for) I found myself able to convey my thoughts more completely, in a more easily understandable way. I found my vocabulary becoming more careful, and my thinking more precise. I feel that this has been profitable for me in many ways, and pray that it will continue to be in years to come.
            This exercise has been very enjoyable, and we’re glad for those of you who patiently endured and provided feedback as we attempted it. We will not be able to maintain the quantity of writing that we have in the past two months, as much as we have loved it. We do hope, however, that this trial will manifest itself in a more consistent amount of writing for us. We have learned the importance of our words, and look forward to using them further as we seek to serve our Savior.


[1] Marilynne Robinson, Gilead
[2] John Calvin, Institutes, “Letter to the Reader”

1 comment:

  1. Did you write this for me, Nathan? haha. I'm glad you write.

    And I'm glad you let me read your love poems...haha.

    Garrett

    ReplyDelete