Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Metaphysics and Doxology

The pen never seems heavier than when it is first drawn across an empty page. When I begin to write, I am always driven to capture the deep and portray the profound- to use these lines and dots to illumine truths in my own mind or in the sight of others. Indeed, it is mightier than the sword, and more difficult to lift and wield.
            Reading the writing of a friend recently[1], I was reminded of the beauty of the real. Life, in its vibrance and complexity, bursts forth in a thousand incidences each moment. I, in my dimwitted search for the deep, miss the beauty and glory in those “simple” occurrences, seeing only what I deem to be appropriate of my appreciation. The kiss from my wife, the joy in labor and study, the peaceful afternoon nap, the clear blue sky and strong bright sun fade into obscurity as I seek the profound realities—not realizing that the richest realities lie in these profound things and their true meanings.
            “Turn your eyes upon Jesus,” the old hymn sings, “look full in His wonderful face. And the things of this earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.” As far as the riches of this world and the temptations to evil, this is absolutely true. But what about the simple moments of the everyday? The love of my wife, the joy in a child’s laugh, the satisfaction in a work completed, the rest of a peaceful nap? Tragically, these things fall into routine in search of greater truth, while they should find greater reality in service of our gracious God.
            We’ve been duped into believing the total separation between physical and spiritual realities, whereas it is precisely the infusion of the spiritual reality that gives the physical, the simple, the everyday its overwhelming beauty! My marriage is beautiful, not because of perfection, but because in our love there is an image of Jesus and His bride.[2] Children are beautiful, because the kingdom of God belongs to the childlike, who cling to Christ for all their hope and salvation.[3] Our toil is sweet because we have been promised an inheritance over all the earth and work to advance the kingdom of the Savior who purchased this inheritance for us. [4]Our sleep is peaceful because we believe in the Holy One who has done for us all our works.[5]
            As I write this, I feel clumsy and inadequate, struggling to capture the beauty of the everyday, the beauty of things too lofty for me. In Christ, our lives gain a greater reality. The horrors of injustice, death and destruction cause us to groan with greater fervency for the restoration of creation’s order[6], and the joy, hope, and love that we see in the everyday cause us to rejoice that the restoration has begun in our own hearts and families[7]. This restoration, this infusion of our lives with purpose, meaning, and the glory of God through the Gospel of Christ, leads us into greater praise and thanksgiving. I have recently overlooked the beauty in my life because of the hunger for “something greater.” Our lives have been given their greatest significance in the Gospel and Grace of Christ.
            I recognize the incoherence and brevity of these musings, but conclude with this: Let us be about our Father’s business, and Lord Jesus, come quickly. Amen.



[1] Logansinlondon.wordpress.com
[2] Ephesians 5:22-33
[3] Matthew 19:13-15
[4] Romans 8:15-17
[5] Hebrews 4
[6] Romans 8:18-25
[7] Colossians 3:12-4:1

0 comments:

Post a Comment